New Delhi: Heavy rains and gusty winds pounded the national capital on Monday evening, toppling hundreds of trees, delaying road and aviation traffic, and causing damage to vehicles and structures, including the landmark Jama Masjid, news agency PTI reported.
Some areas also experienced flooding and power outages. While civic bodies were busy cleaning roads, police and fire personnel reacted to several rescue calls as trees fell on vehicles and people and incidents of wall collapse occurred.
According to the meteorological service, Delhi received 17.8 mm of rain as of 5.30 p.m.
Here’s Top Key Developments
- A 50-year-old man died in the Jama Masjid area of central Delhi after a section of a balcony from a neighbouring house collapsed on him as he was standing outside his home amid heavy winds. Kailash, the victim, was confirmed dead at Sanjeevan hospital in Daryaganj, according to Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central) Shweta Chauhan.
- According to authorities, a 65-year-old homeless man named Basir Baba died after a Peepal tree fell on him in the Angoori Bagh district of North Delhi.
- Another family, including a one-year-old toddler, was saved after a Neem tree fell on their Creta vehicle near Kabootar Market in Chandni Chowk.
- The historic Jama Masjid was also harmed when the finial of its central dome shattered. According to its Shahi Imam Syed Ahmed Bukhari, two individuals were hurt when loose stones fell from one of the mosque’s minarets and other areas.
- Until 8 p.m. on Monday, police received 294 reports regarding fallen trees.
- Delhi Fire Police received eight reports of house collapses.
- Commuters had difficulties due to traffic jams around the ITO, AIIMS flyover, and DND.
- According to authorities, at least five planes were diverted and 70 were delayed at the Delhi airport as a result of the rainstorm. According to them, at least 40 aircraft were delayed.
- Residents shared videos of automobiles swaying in the wind and falling branches. Vehicles were damaged in numerous areas after trees fell on them due to heavy winds and rain.
- The automobile of West Delhi BJP MP Parvesh Sahib Singh Verma was also damaged as tree branches fell on it while it was parked at his official house at Windsor Place.
- “Till 7.15 PM, a total of 101 complaints were received about uprooted trees and broken branches. Work is on to clear the areas where such incidents have been witnessed. Several areas, including Bhagwan Das Road, Connaught Place, SP Marg, have already been cleared,” a senior NDMC official said.
- Several trees were uprooted within Jamia Millia Islamia, where the walls of a structure were also damaged, according to officials. Winds blew away several of the solar panels put in the administration building, according to varsity authorities.
- The walls of the Zakir Husain Memorial were damaged by the severe rain. Approximately 200-300 trees on campus would have been damaged. The road outside the varsity campus was congested.
- Trees were uprooted on the Bhai Vir Singh Marg in the Gole Market area near the Nepal Embassy, as well as near the Parliament Street police station, causing traffic congestion.
- The Kasturba Gandhi Marg was fully stopped to traffic. There were also reports of poles damaging automobiles in the South Extension market, as well as a Delhi Traffic Police booth being destroyed by high winds near Vijay Chowk.